Warsop Web Community Forum

Warsop Web Homepage | Contact Us

RSS Feed

Spion kop

Discuss anything about Warsop. For users to participate in all discussions relating to the Parish of Warsop that are not related to any of the specific categories below.
Forum rules
Please READ: Forum Rules & Regulations

Spion kop

Postby Digger » Wed May 09, 2007 9:53 pm

I know it's not quite Warsop, but not far off. I saw in last weeks Chad that 2 requests for planning permission were submitted for the old Woods yard by a developer. One was for housing, the other for business premises. Despite the local residents wanting the houses, the council have passed the application for the business park. With all the empty premises and under-developed business parks already in the Mansfield area, does anyone else think this was a wrong decision?
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby m8tey » Wed May 09, 2007 10:05 pm

Of course it's the wrong decision but once the high and mighty councilors have made their minds up you and i as part of the great unwashed will not change them. They always know best.
TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT
m8tey
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Tomas Drouty » Wed May 09, 2007 10:25 pm

There is actually more to this story than it seems.

Planning has been passed for business use simply so that the land does not revert to green belt status as there was a deadline rapidly running out. The developer is also keen to see the site used for residential purposes. The reason the residential plan was not passed was because the kind of housing being applied for did not tick all of the boxes for certain independent councillors. However it did meet all the government requirements.

It's basically a bit of politically tom foolery to buy time so that everyone is happy.
Tomas Drouty
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Postby Digger » Wed May 09, 2007 10:31 pm

Thanks for that TD. It makes a bit more sense.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Caz » Wed May 09, 2007 10:36 pm

Just for the record, Spion Kop is part of Warsop and the title of Warsop Web's homepage is actually 'Market Warsop, Church Warsop, Meden Vale, Warsop Vale and Spion Kop community pages, Mansfield in Nottinghamshire' So there's no problem discussing Spion Kop on here! :lol:
Mrs Warsop Web, Warsop born and bred!
http://www.warsopweb.co.uk
Caz
Website Manager
Website Manager

Postby Sallyann » Wed May 09, 2007 10:44 pm

I personally don't really mind what it becomes,residential or business,anything is better than what's there now!
It's a shame they are'nt doing anything to the garage between spion kop and mansfield woodhouse.It's an eyesore!!
Sallyann
Lifetime Registered User

Postby Digger » Wed May 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Agree, but it's hard to see what you could use it for.
Digger
Lifetime Registered User

Postby whitevanman » Wed May 09, 2007 11:07 pm

The developer as bent over backwards to placate the council but they shift the goalposts everytime that he agree's to their requests. Every time he puts a plan in, the council (don't know if its the officers or the councillors) say "no, but you can do this". The developer agrees but then they say " ooh wait a minute we actually meant this" and it goes on and on.

With the garage site, the council does not like anything motor trade, but for some reason they will not let this be anything else. A major car hire company wanted it, but the council refused permission because (one of the reasons) was they were not going to sell petrol. Would this have mattered, at least it going to get done up and occupied
whitevanman
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Postby La Fiama » Wed May 09, 2007 11:10 pm

Why not just build 100 houses on the land
La Fiama

Postby festering_plates » Fri May 11, 2007 7:16 pm

I personally don't wish to see the Old Woods yard turned into a housing development. Being quite frank, How long would it take for planning permission to be granted for housing development from Spion Kop to the borders of warsop? Spion Kop is very special and should stay as it is.
Why won't the fly fairies ever leave me in peace? There just to fast to kill....
festering_plates
Lite Registered User

Postby Heidi » Sat May 12, 2007 8:37 am

why is it special?????
many know my smile, but dont know what I feel...........
many hear what I say, but dont know what I think.....
many see what I write, but dont know the meaning behind it..
many say they know me, but only know what I look like....
Heidi
Lifetime Registered User

Postby john » Sat May 12, 2007 7:46 pm

There was a steam locomotive named after it. Bit of useless info I know but there you have it. :)
john
Super Registered User

Postby La Fiama » Sat May 12, 2007 8:10 pm

Why was Spion Kop built in the middle of knowhere?
La Fiama

Postby loftyhermes » Sat May 12, 2007 9:40 pm

It was named after the Battle of Spion Kop which took place during the Second Boer War in Natal, South Africa in January 1900.
Me slow??? I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done.
loftyhermes
Lifetime Registered User

Postby La Fiama » Sat May 12, 2007 11:15 pm

But why build there?
La Fiama

Next

Return to Warsop Chatter